Who Will Be Going to The Optima Invitational?
Larry Jewett - February 07, 2012 01:00 PM
The start of the 2011 Optima Ultimate Street Car InvitationalKahn Media
2011 champion Danny Popp came from a regional qualifierOPTIMA
Mark Stielow, the 2010 champion, was only a tiebreaker away from repeating and could be in the hunt in 2012.OPTIMA
OPTIMA Batteries announces the first round of events that will serve as qualifiers to compete in the OPTIMA® Ultimate Street Car Invitational. The OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational takes place annually in Nevada immediately following the SEMA Show.
The 2012 OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational qualifying events are:
• Run to the Alamo (San Marcos, TX): February 17-19
• Run to the Coast (Irvine, CA): March 9-11
• The OPTIMA®Faceoff at HOT ROD Power Tour* (Arlington, TX): June 9th
• The OPTIMA®Faceoff at Road America* (Elkhart Lake, WI): June 22-24
• Motorstate Challenge (South Haven, MI): July 13-15
• The OPTIMA®Faceoff at MPH Nebraska/ Sandhills Open Road Challenge* (Hastings, NE) August 8-12
• LSFest (Bowling Green, KY): September 7-9
• Silver State Classic Challenge* (Ely, NV): September 12-16
• Lingenfelter Performance Engineering Nationals (Norwalk, OH): September 21-23
Qualifying events are open to the public and offer a great way for automotive enthusiasts to preview the top talent. Each regional qualifying event will follow a format similar to the OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational with a combination of segments to include autocross, road course, braking and acceleration, style and design, road rally, and additional activities, which will vary per event. The OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational implements regional qualifying events in order to increase diversity among vehicles, drivers and enthusiast segments. OPTIMA encourages all street-legal vehicle year, makes and models to participate.
“We are always humbled by the talent that comes out for our events. In addition to the skilled participants, it also brings awareness to the enthusiast dedication and passion within the aftermarket performance automotive industry,” says Cam Douglass, director of product development and marketing for OPTIMA Batteries. “If the regional events from last year are any indication of what’s in store for 2012, I think it’s safe to say that each of these events will turn out some amazing entrants.”
Some of the top placing competitors from the 2011 OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational were discovered at regional qualifier events, including the Invitational winner Danny Popp, who was a regional qualifier from the 2011 Motor State Challenge.
For more information on the qualifying events, visit www.optimainvitational.com.