Free Admission on June 19
Larry Jewett - June 17, 2014 03:05 PM
As a gift from the late Robert E. Petersen, founder of the Petersen Automotive Museum, the Petersen will be offering free admission on June 19, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. in celebration of its 20th anniversary. Free admission grants access to the first and second floor exhibits, as well as the kid-friendly Discovery Center on the third floor. Vault tours will also be available for purchase and will be offered at 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m., 5 p.m., and 7:30 p.m.
Free admission on June 19 kicks off the Petersen’s Summer of Fun activities, including:
• Open on Mondays beginning June 16th, the Petersen is featuring extended summer hours, open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• A four-part Summer Concert Series presented by KCRW starting with Wildcat! Wildcat! on June 29 at the Petersen. Featuring panoramic views of the city, live bands, DJs, food and drinks, the event, which is made possible by BMW, will also offer free ride & drives in the new BMW i3. Small Pools will play the final concert on August 10. For more information on dates and other musical acts visit www.petersentickets.org.
• June 29 is Hoods Up Day at the Petersen. Starting with the monthly Breakfast Club cruise-in (which is open to all special interest cars and motorcycles), all participants will be encouraged to pop their hoods and show off what powers their passion. Inside the Petersen, select vehicles in every exhibit, including the Vault, will also have their hoods up including a 1927 Rolls-Royce, 1962 Ferrari GTO, 1963 Chrysler Turbine, 1967 Ford GT40 MKIII, 1967 Ford Malco Gasser and 1992 Jaguar XJ220. Docents will be on hand to present each engine compartment and answer questions.
• Free Movies & $1 Milkshakes night on June 25 showing the 1968 film The Thomas Crown Affair. Additional movie nights include July 9, August 6 and September 24.
• National Collector Car Appreciation Day is July 11. Drive your collector car to the museum and get one free admission when you share a photo of your car at the Petersen on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and include #thepetersen. Show your post at the admissions desk to get your free admission. Limit one per vehicle.
• Learn about the exciting world of automotive design during an interview with Honda’s Director of Advance Design, Dave Marek, during Inside the MotoMan Studio on July 20. The event will begin with an all-Japanese car cruise-in located in the Petersen parking structure and an exhibition of Japanese classics will also be on display inside the museum.
Current exhibits at the Petersen include Mustangs Forever: 50 Years of a Legend which celebrates the pony car’s 50th anniversary with over 20 Mustangs on display, The World’s Greatest Sports Coupes, an exhibit guest curated by twelve celebrity car guys who each chose their favorite sports coupe, Town Cars: Arriving in Style which examines luxury and sophistication in the early 20th century and License Plates: Unlocking the Code which uses license plates to look at the history of the automobile, as well as the history of California, the U.S. and the world.
For more information on current exhibits and upcoming events, please visit www.Petersen.org.