1931 Cadillac wins Pinehurst
90-year-old owner celebrates
Eric Kaminsky - May 05, 2014 09:20 AM
Best of Show at the 2014 Pinehurst Concours d'Elegance was this 1931 Cadillac 452A.Photo: Pinehurst Concours
Pinehurst President and CEO Jay Howard with Best of Show winner, 90-year-old Charles Gillet.Photo: Pinehurst Concours
A Midnight Blue 1931 Cadillac 452A won Best of Show at the 2014 Pinehurst Concours d’Elegance on May 4. It also won a class winner.
The car was purchased in 1986 by Charles Gillet, of Lutherville, Maryland, and then restored. Gillet, who at 90 is seven years older than his car, couldn’t believe he had won when informed of the judge’s decision. “Some of the better things come later in life,” he said. “This has to be one of those days.” He acquired the car after mentioning to his restorer that he wanted to own a V-16 Cadillac, to which the restorer replied, “I know where I can get you one.”
The Pinehurst Concours is held on the grounds of the Pinehurst Resort in Pinehurst, North Carolina. This was the second year for the event. Other notable cars at the show were last year’s winner, a 1938 Steyr 220 Glaser Roadster and a 1956 Jaguar XKSS, once owned by actor Steve McQueen, making an appearance courtesy of the Petersen Museum.
In addition to the Best of Show, several special awards were presented. They were:
- Chairman’s Award: 1966 Shelby Mustang GT 350H, owned by Tom and Pat Cotter, Davidson, N.C.
- Historic Vehicle Association Award: 1903 Marr Auto Car, owned by W. Barton Close, Signal Mountain, Tenn.
- FIVA Award (for cars that survived unrestored): 1954 Alfa Romeo 1900 SS Zagato, owned by Corrado Lepresto, Milan, ,Italy
- Robert H. Dedman Jr. Award (Pinehurst Resort member voting): 1939 Mercedes-Benz 540K Spezial Roadster, owned by Dr. Rick Workman, Windermere, Fla.
- Soldier’s Choice Award (Fort Bragg/Iron Mike Rally voting): 1934 Packard 1104 Sport Phaeton, owned by David Peeler, Weddington, N.C.
Class winners were:
Class 1 (Brass Era cars 1895 to 1915)
- Winner: 1903 Marr Auto Car, owned by W. Barton Close, Signal Mountain, Tenn.
- Second: 1905 Buick Model C owned by Roberta Holden, Southern Pines, N.C.
- Third: 1912 Buick Model 34 owned by Robert Farris, Canton, Ga.
Class 2 Production Pre-War 1916 to 1942
- Winner: 1933 MG J-Type owned by Roy Crowninshield, Asheville, N.C.
- Second Place: 1935 Ford Standard owned by Tommy Harper, Bedford, Va.
- Third Place: 1920 Stutz Series Model H owned by Jim Aldrich, Raleigh, N.C.
Class 3 Production Postwar 1946 to 1982
- Winner: 1958 DeSoto Firedome owned by Brad Jones, Greensboro, N.C.
- Second: 1971 Lincoln Continental Mark III owned by Gerald Miller, Albemarle, N.C.
- Third: 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air owned by Bob Agee, Grovetown, Ga.
Class 4 Grand Classics 1925 to 1948
- Winner (tied): 1931 Cadillac 452A owned by Charles Gillet, Lutherville, Md.
- Winner (tied): 1939 Mercedes-Benz 540K Spezial Roadster owned by Dr. Rick Workman, Windermere, Fla.
- Second: 1936 Rolls-Royce Sport Saloon owned by Thomas Wright, Sneads Ferry, N.C.
- Third: 1937 Lincoln V-12 Touring owned by John Fisher, Bald Head Island, N.C.
Class 5 Sports and GT Cars 1946 to 1964
- Winner: 1964 Jaguar E-Type owned by Avery Wise, Waxhaw, N.C.
- Second: 1951 Porsche 356 owned by Pete Archibald, Hilton Head, S.C.
- Third: 1954 Jaguar XK120 owned by Ronald Schotland, Skillman, N.J.
Class 6 Ford Mustang 50th Anniversary
- Winner: 1967 Ford Mustang owned by Jack Williams, Graham, N.C.
- Second: 1966 Shelby GT 350 owned by Stan Simm, Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Third: 1978 Ford Mustang II King Cobra owned by Bill and Kelley Maddox, Fayetteville, Ga.
Class 7 Porsche Turbo 40th Anniversary
- Winner: 1994 Porsche (964) 911 Turbo 3.6 owned by Michael Mulligan, Toms River, N.J.
- Second: 1996 Porsche (993) GT2 owned by James Edwards, Show Low, Ariz.
- Third: 1996 Porsche (993) 911 Turbo owned by Karl Boegner, Dahlonega, Ga.
Class 8 Sports and GT Cars 1965 to 1976
- Winner: 1972 Datsun 240Z owned by Robert Speights, Nashville, Tenn.
- Second: 1965 Porsche 356C owned by Tim Herman, Hickory, N.C.
- Third: 1970 Porsche 911S owned by William C. “Rusty” Russ, Jacksonville, Fla.
Class 9 Wood-bodied Cars 1915 to 1950
- Winner: 1947 Chrysler Town & Country owned by Mark and Hilary Becker, Jacksonville, Fla.
- Second: 1946 Ford Master Deluxe Station Wagon owned by Jeff McKain, Virginia Beach, Va.
- Third: 1937 Dodge Brothers Westchester Suburban owned by Christopher Lawrence, Virginia Beach, Va.
Class 10 Limited Production Cars
- Winner: 1969 Iso Grifo owned by Darren Frank, Charlotte, N.C.
- Second: 1963 Studebaker Avanti R-2 Supercharged owned by Joseph Parsons, Raleigh, N.C.
- Third: 1963 Porsche Carrera owned by Thomas Zarrella, Gloucester, Mass.
Class 11 American Muscle Cars 1961 to 1974
- Winner: 1960 Chevrolet Corvette owned by Bradley Bean, Miramar Beach. Fla.
- Second: 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle SS owned by Robert Stumpf, Orland Park, Ill.
- Third: 1967 Pontiac GTO owned by Thomas Zarrella, Gloucester, Mass.
Class 12 Race Cars
- Winner: 1972 BMW 3.5 CSL Group 2 owned by Scott Hughes, Sunset, S.C.
- Second: 1969 McLaren M6/G owned by James Edwards, Show Low, Ariz.
- Third: 1960 Chevrolet Corvette owned by Tommy Bradshaw, Clinton, N.C.