Indiana-Built Cars at Speedway Museum
John Gunnell - April 24, 2014 08:03 PM
THe Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum is located inside the stories oval between the first and second turns.
A 1922 Davis touring car, a 1925 McFarland roadster, a 1926 Apperson Jack Rabbit and a 1927 Duesenberg Model A Schuette roadster are among the Indiana-built cars owned by Indianapolis Motor Speedway. All four of the large classic cars are currently on exhibit in the Speedway’s “Hall of Fame” museum.
Built by George W. Davis Motorcar Co. of Richmond, the four-door Series 71 Davis in the museum is finished in red with black running boards. Davis was sold and moved to Maryland in 1928.
The McFarland is a two-passenger roadster made in Connersville. It has a giant 572 six-cylinder engine, but produces just 120 hp. The history of this Indiana automaker dates back to its 1856 carriage-building roots.
Apperson Automobile Co. produced cars in Kokomo. The Jack Rabbit brougham has a 204-cid overhead-valve six-cylinder engine that produces 46 hp. The Jack Rabbit name originated on a chain-driven speedster the company first offered in 1907.
Although the name Duesenberg sounds German, the company started as a racing car manufacturer in Indianapolis. The Model A in the museum features a 262.5-cid eight that made 92 hp.
The Speedway “Hall of Fame” opened in 1956. The current museum opened in April 1976 and is now home to over 75 vehicles including passenger cars (like these Indiana-built Classics).
Car enthusiast Karl Kaiser developed a car collection for Speedway owner Tony Hulman. It was assembled long before car collecting became an industry and Kaiser could select and restore automobiles that represented important historical milestones, as well as many famous racing cars.
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame is open 9 a.m. -5 p.m. March-October, 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. (November-February with extended hours during May. It is closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. The museum is operated by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Foundation.